Re: gEDA-user: Next problem, PCB looses rats

On May 31, 2010, at 4:14 PM, Mike Bushroe wrote:

>   OK, I have the layout. I found that some symbols don't have explicit OR
>   implicit power connections.

Yep. The authors no doubt intended that they be used with separate power symbols.

> Others use VDD and VSS instead of Vcc and
>   GND.

Yep. Different authors, different conventions, different purposes, different flows, ...

You have to check your symbols before you use them. That's also true of the big $$ commercial packages. Symbols are pretty universally trouble in EDA.

> I found where I have moved a component slightly a caused a short
>   between ground an power. I got all that fixed. But every time I start
>   to run the power buss, I reach a point where pins are highlighted
>   green, but the rat lines disappear, and the DRC makes it impossible to
>   run a trace to the pin. I have to keep saving the layout, exiting the
>   program, and starting over. Even reloading the net list and displaying
>   the rat lines does not help. This is slowing things down quit a bit.
>   But I don't think I can build a 4 layer board at home, and with only
>   two layers, there is no ground an power planes, so I want the power and
>   ground lines thick and well laid out, so I don't want to rey
>   autorouting just yet. What I am doing wrong this time?

You'll have to find a pcb expert, I don't use it. Different purposes, different flows, ...

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx