Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb to pcb error

On May 31, 2010, at 11:30 AM, Mike Bushroe wrote:

> 2) I found that several IC have no power. I know that John Doty does
>   not like to have his schematics cluttered up with surperfluous Vcc and
>   Gnd connections.

No, I (and others) tend to use separate power symbols, like:

http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/kai_martin_knaak/symbols/digital/74_pwr.sym

Thank you Kai-Martin!

> But at the other extreme, I just discovered that
>   7404-1.fp has implicit connections to Vcc and Gnd nets in non-printing
>   attributes, but the identical looking 7404-4.fp does not.

I believe you are confusing pcb footprints with gschem symbols. They are very different things.

> Is there some
>   way to indicate which symbols are powerless and which have non-printing
>   power connections built in?

From command line:

grep net= `locate name-of-symbol.sym`

From gschem:

1. Select the symbol.

2. Hierarchy>Down Symbol

3. Edit>Show/Hide Inv Text

4. Look for net= attributes.

> This is especially important in quads and
>   hex parts that have many slots. And is there a way to change the symbol
>   used without deleting the instance and re-entering all the data by
>   hand?

The .sch file is text, so a global change of of the symbol name does the trick.

> I don't gattrib allows changing the actuacl symbol file used,
>   just a few of the attributes.

These problems are why I recommend making project-specific copies of symbols rather than using the library symbols as-is.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx