Re: gEDA-user: pcb doesn't allow adding a thermal to vias

On Fri, 06 May 2011 21:28:51 +0200 (CEST)
Vaclav Peroutka <vaclavpe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I am confused why pcb won't allow me to add a thermal to a via and
> > to a through-hole pin.  I am trying to connect these to the ground
> > plane. Clicking the via or pin with the "THRM" tool has no effect.
> > I expect it to add the X connecting the pin/via to the surrounding
> > polygon ground plane.
>
> Hello,
>
> if I understand PCB design, vias are normally not solderable. So you
> do not need thermals there.

You are right -- I just figured out how to make the via connect to the
surrounding plane easily:  hit Shift-k many times until no clearance is
visible around the copper annulus. (Verify using Ctrl-r, make sure
"Clearance width in polygons" = 0.)

I failed to set the clearance to zero at first, because I was using
ChangeClearSize(selected, 0, mil) and this appears to have no effect.
I usually avoid the increase/decrease keys because I generally want to
specify exact numbers, but it's fine to execute
"while (clear!=0) {Shift-k; }" manually whenever I need to do this.

Regards,
Colin