gEDA-user: pcb doesn't allow adding a thermal to vias

I am confused why pcb won't allow me to add a thermal to a via and to a
through-hole pin.  I am trying to connect these to the ground plane.
Clicking the via or pin with the "THRM" tool has no effect.  I expect
it to add the X connecting the pin/via to the surrounding polygon
ground plane.

I even tried using the exact command given as an example in the
SetFlag action section on the pcb manual

    SetFlag(SelectedPins,thermal)

but I get the following result in the message window:

    SetFlag():  Flag "thermal" is not valid

Regards,
Colin