Re: gEDA-user: pcb: strategies for 2-layer polygon planes? (chopped up polygons...)

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 16:14 -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> Now after a while of routing tracks, there were so many tracks that my
> ground plane polygons were chopped to bits and pcb started drawing only
> the left half of the polygon, for instance.  This obviously created
> problems since nets that were already successfully routed got broken.

If you're prepared to work with a non-standard version of PCB (producing
files which won't look the same when loaded into standard PCB), I could
take a poke at ensuring my "pours" branch is up to date and working.

That handles planes by making them into "pours", and performs on the fly
island removal for non-connected pieces.

The only difference is the polygon handling, and it out to be possible
(with a small amount of code on my part) to "morph" the poured regions
back into individual polygon shapes, That would produce a design
compatible with git HEAD PCB again. (Admittedly the polygons produced
would be pre-clipped exactly to your track routing, so it would be a
"last export" step beyond which you'd not want to do further editing).

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,