gEDA-user: Logos and graphics.. [WAS: Re: Where is pcb-20100929 for Win32 ?]

On Fri, 2011-05-06 at 10:00 -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:

> > Appears to be working well for me :) Allowing me to add some holes to
> > polygons to sort out a logo on the silk screen - great!
>
> Did you draw a logo graphic in pcb itself using the polygon tool?
>
> I have really wanted to have decent logo graphics and beautifully
> typeset text on my boards, so I have created graphics and text in
> Inkscape, exported through pstoedit to pcb, but this has caused issues
> because pstoedit is generating some invalid polygons, which crashes most
> versions of pcb.

I might be persuaded to take a look at fixing one or the other.

I wrote a plugin a while back which takes the various forward /
backwards orientated polygons spat out by pstoedit, then combines them
to make PCB compatible polygons with holes.

The tricky part was making it work with nested holes inside polygons
inside a hole inside a polygon .... ;)

Since a lot of core code has been updated since I wrote the script, I
might have to fix it to work with current PCB, but I've attached it here
in case it helps you get started.

I've not seen PCB crash due to bad pstoedit polygons before though - if
you have an example which is reproducible, please send it to me.

Best regards,
--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,