Re: gEDA-user: PCB: simple FreeType fonts implementation -- update?

On Friday 13 May 2011 17:34:21 Colin D Bennett wrote:

> > Note that it's been mentioned that PCB's internal "text"
> > representation should switch from ASCII-7 to UTF-8, and I agree.
>
> That should be quite simple and painless, right?  Fully
> backward-compatible.

*cringe*

Those sound like famous last words to me.

There at least four things that make converting to UTF-8 often nightmarish:

1) Code that assumes that strlen returns the number of characters in a string.
2) Code that iterates through characters in a string.
3) Trying to treat filenames as UTF-8 (sometimes they are. Sometimes they're
not).
4) Multiple Unicode codepoints for the same actual character.

Good luck!

                             Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>