gEDA-user: PCB: simple FreeType fonts implementation -- update?

I just ran across an old thread started 2009-03-12 by Ineiev with a
super cool patch for rendering text with the FreeType library (standard
TTF/OTF/etc. font support!).

* Subject: PCB: simple FreeType fonts implementation
  From: Ineiev
  Date: 2009-03-12 09:32:40 GMT
  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.cad.geda.user/22983

It looked to me like most of the work was done in the patch but it was
left to rot!  Perhaps the only thing left to be done is to embed the
font files in the .pcb file so that it doesn't depend on system fonts
(future-proofing files, exchanging between systems, etc.).

Any chance to revive this?

Regards,
Colin