Re: gEDA-user: Reinventing the wheel

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 01:06 +1000, Russell Shaw wrote:

> I'm still studying geda, but if i did some real work on it, it
> would end up having an extra file format, extra guis, and a closer
> sch/pcb link.

Maybe a good starting point is defining a new extended file format. (For
current pcb footprint keepouts and copper arcs are missing...) If that
format is fine, someone may write importers and exporters for gschem,
PCB, maybe KiCAD. But even this is a big task -- some like the gschem
format with position dependent meaning, some like XML, YAML, SVG.

I think it is not a bad idea to have separate tools for schematic
capture and PCB layout work -- the tasks are really different, sometimes
done by different people. A closer coupling would be fine -- back
annotation and cross probing. That is easier in an integrated tool.