Re: gEDA-user: Solving the light/heavy symbol problem

> Yes users must be able to add metadata, ie: company internal part
> numbers, document numbers, etc.

Do they add meta-data to the symbol, the footprint, or store it
elsewhere?

We *do* have the option of changing our symbol-footprint library into
a symbol-metadata-footprint scheme.  Maybe gnetlist is feeling left
out, and wants its own library and GUI :-)

> Heck, it would also be nice to be able to switch footprints from
> within PCB; for example, when changing a board from thru-hole to
> SMT.

I've considered that too.  It means either pcb has to be able to talk
to gschem, or gschem and pcb need to share a separate metadata
container.  I.e. a project would be schematics+metadata+layout, not
just schematics+layout.