Re: gEDA-user: cvs.gedasymbols.org and gschem

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 13:31 -0700, Colin D Bennett wrote:
> On Mon, 23 May 2011 22:18:54 +0200 (CEST)
> karl@xxxxxxxxxxx (Karl Hammar) wrote:
>
> > In the library browser you have the choise to embed the component
> > in the .sch file. I think that might be the solutions for your
> > scenarios.
>
> That would be a reasonable solution.  I guess I've always overlooked
> that option.

I was thinking that when I next got some free time to do a bit of
coding, I would take a break from the PCB+GL merge work and attack the
long outstanding "make symbol libraries writeable" problem.

Aims:

Make back-ends which can support it allow writing to the library (if the
library is configured to accept this).. e.g. local project library, or
per-user library.

Teach libgeda (and gschem etc..) to allow symbols to be backed by, and
written to the symbol library APIs (like a VFS layer), rather than
insist on an on-disk representation.

Consider treating schematic embedded symbols as a special library
source. (I'm not completely decided on this though). They should
certainly be writeable of course, however we do it. Details might not be
exposed in the symbol browser of course.

I'm hoping that eventually back-ends could include such exciting things
as fetch from and push to gedasymbols.org.

I would like to see some options added to the symbol library dialogue:

1. Create a new (e.g. local) library
2. Copy an existing symbol to another (e.g. local) library
3. Create a completely new symbol (perhaps using a wizard interface)

When editing symbols, the "save" options should be amongst:

* Replace existing library symbol
* Save with new name (optionally updating the instance, or instances on
the schematic which was descended into from).
* Update embedded symbol

Sensible error handling for read-only (system installed) libraries might
be to prompt the user for another location to save into - including the
option to create a new local library for the purpose.

Hopefully these extra features will solve some of the problems I have
explaining simple footprint creation to new users ;)

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,