Re: gEDA-user: Solving the light/heavy symbol problem

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 15:24 +0900, John Doty wrote:
> On May 24, 2011, at 2:43 PM, DJ Delorie wrote:

> I also use pins2gsch a lot for connector maps: maintaining connectors
> as drawings is a pain, and not very illuminating, I think. In this
> case, the master is the .tsv that defines the map, not the .sch that's
> derived from it. I used this for the CCD driver board whose picture I
> posted earlier, and I'm really glad I did: the folks on the other
> sides of the interfaces kept changing pin assignments, and a table is
> much easier to fix than a drawing.

> So, already, for me the schematics themselves don't completely define
> a design, at least in my "big project" flows.

It has been my wish for some time that a netlist / BOM type input file
becomes more "first class" within gEDA. Net lists / BOM are the about
the most fundamental piece of data within an EDA tool. Schematics are
just one way of inputting that, and PCB layouts are just one way of
embodying it.

It seems un-warranted to make a schematic file from a data-table when
the end output is just the data-table in a different format.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,