Re: gEDA-user: Solving the light/heavy symbol problem

On Tue, 2011-05-24 at 16:56 +0900, John Doty wrote:

> Well, the classic TLP is "make", and gEDA works pretty well with it.
> Of course, "make" is old-fashioned and rather crude. It's easy to
> create something prettier, but it's very hard to create something that
> works better.

"make" is a clever tool, and underlying its operation is constructing a
directed dependency graph, then computing an operation order to satisfy
the desired target(s).

I would love to see the data-structure and algorithmic part of "make"
made available as a library so we could build upon those parts more
readily, or perhaps even wrap a GUI around a real Makefile and show the
user a graphical representation of the project state.

Details of the Makefile syntax and the fact that actions are made from
shell script fragments is somewhat irrelevant. The underlying logic is
re-implemented in many projects in quite diverse areas. Inkscape import
filters and gstreamer pipelines are two examples I can think of right
now.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,