Re: gEDA-user: Task list for: Solving the light/heavy symbol problem

On Thu, 26 May 2011 11:52:04 -0700
Andrew Poelstra <asp11@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:56:40AM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
> >
> > Opportunity to pick a more modern language, too.  Something more
> > os-agnostic, we've had issues with scheme on Windows before.
> >
> > I'm a Perl fan myself.
> >

> Although Perl is probably better for string-handling, I think
> Python would be a better choice. It "feels" a lot more like a
> Lisp and quite a bit more well-known these days.
>
> It is also platform-agnostic, handles errors more cleanly,
> and is usually easier to read.

+1 Python
-32767 Perl

I have written a lot of Perl code over the past 15 years, and still use
it for quick one-liner text processing tasks, but even as a novice
Python user I must say that my Python code is vastly more maintainable
than Perl code.  I have found that it always pays off to write clean
and readable Python code rather than taking what seems at first to be
the easy way and throwing some Perl together. Sure, you *can* write
maintainable Perl code, but it takes tremendous effort because there
are so many quick shortcuts that tempt the author or Perl code, and
there are a million different ways to write the same code -- not
necessarily good for maintainability.  A project like gEDA would have
to have some really tight style guidelines to get consistent and
readable Perl code...

Regards,
Colin