gEDA-user: git: quick check for new commits

Is there a quick way to check to see if a local repo is out of date
relative to a remote repo?  I'd like to write a shell script that
rebuilds pcb but only if something's been committed to the master
repo.  Rather than check out the whole tree and see if anything
changed, I'd rather just compare head revisions.  I tried git
rev-parse but it's "origin/master" result is based on cached values,
not actual upstream values.

Perhaps I need to fetch, then rev-parse?