gEDA-user: lib problems

Hello,

I've had gschem runnig for alsmot a year when I tried to
update to the lastest version. It complained that my
gtk+ lib was out of date so I downloaded the latest tarball
and installed it. No effect.

I then did a complete new install of suse 7.3 pro followed by
glib, gtk+ and gschem. Gschem complained that it couldn't find
the gtk+ lib. Traced that down and discovered that suse does't
configure a path for root with /usr/local/bin in it so the
configure couldn't find the gtk-config program. Fixed that and
the configure said that the gtk+ reported version 1.2.8 but the
script found library 1.2.10.

I checked my enviroment for anything related to "LIB" and I see
a bunch of stuff pointing to either mozilla or /opt/kde.

So my conclusion is that suse preinstalled a newer gtk+ than on
the geda website and this is not being updated when I download
the geda version. So my questions:

1) What is the NAME of the real gtk+ file that the system is using?

2) What enviroment variable does the system use to find these libs?

3) When I need to update these libs in the future should I do so
   in /usr/local or overwrite the suse copy.

4) Why is geda using 1.2.8 when there is a 1.2.10 available?

Thanks in advance

John Eaton