Re: gEDA-user: lib problems

Hi,

	The whole library versioning is no fun.

[snip]
>I then did a complete new install of suse 7.3 pro followed by
>glib, gtk+ and gschem. Gschem complained that it couldn't find
>the gtk+ lib. Traced that down and discovered that suse does't
>configure a path for root with /usr/local/bin in it so the
>configure couldn't find the gtk-config program. Fixed that and
>the configure said that the gtk+ reported version 1.2.8 but the
>script found library 1.2.10.

	Is this the geda/gschem ./configure script reporting this
error?  Also run:

	which gtk-config
	gtk-config --version

	And see what version that reports.  ./configure uses that
script to figure out gtk+ related things.

>I checked my enviroment for anything related to "LIB" and I see
>a bunch of stuff pointing to either mozilla or /opt/kde.

	What is your LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to?  If you have installed
gtk+ in /usr/local/lib and it isn't being searched, then you need
to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to /usr/local/lib (or add that path to
/etc/ld.so.conf and rerun ldconfig as root)

>So my conclusion is that suse preinstalled a newer gtk+ than on
>the geda website and this is not being updated when I download
>the geda version. So my questions:
>
>1) What is the NAME of the real gtk+ file that the system is using?

	You should be able to figure this out via rpm (I don't remember
how) or run:  locate libgtk.so  and see what versions you have installed.
For my system it returns:

/usr/local/encap/gtk+-1.2.10/lib/libgtk.so
/usr/local/lib/libgtk.so  			(symbolic link to above)

>2) What enviroment variable does the system use to find these libs?

	LD_LIBRARY_PATH if you have installed gtk+ in a non searched
path.  You can also run: ldconfig -v   (as root) to see what the dynamic
linker is finding (configured via /etc/ld.so.conf).

>3) When I need to update these libs in the future should I do so
>   in /usr/local or overwrite the suse copy.

	Ah you have entered into .rpm/.deb hell.  You must keep the
suse version installed (to keep all your other dependancies working)
and if you want to update to a newer version install that into /usr/local
You might be able to find a newer .rpm file for the package you want to
upgrade and that might work, but that has not been my experience always.
(I had to remove the stock XFree86 server from my deb box, and now I
can't install any debs which depend on X since I want to run 3.3.6.
I have also found that I like to stay on the bleeding edge for some
packages for which .debs do not exist).

>4) Why is geda using 1.2.8 when there is a 1.2.10 available?

	Hmmm.. is that on the website?  lemme look.  Sure is.
I put 1.2.8 because it works and since that time 1.2.9 and 1.2.10 were
released.  I run 1.2.10 on my machine and it works fine too.  For the
most part any 1.2.x where x >= 3 should work just fine.  I'll upgrade
the website to 1.2.10 at the next appropriate time.

	Hope some of the above helps.

								-Ales