Re: gEDA-user: PCB: strange behaviour of ctrl-H

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 02:49:35PM +0000, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> Hello
>
> ctrl-h switches between a via and mounting hole. If it's being pressed
> repeatedly, then the hole gradually diminishes until zero, then the
> layout starts to appear empty and is visible only on certain zoom levels.
>
> I was wondering whether this isn't because drill size is being clipped
> to sensible annulus thickness on hole -> via transition. The annulus thickness
> is being clipped to 2mil by setting smaller drill size.

I think the current behaviour is about as good as it will get
here. For the two scenarios:

1. Via -> Hole: That's easy, keep the drill size and remove the pad
   and antipad

2. Hole -> Via: Not so easy, where to get the pad size from ? The tool
   does have that information and needs to make a guess. The
   conservative (current) approach is to keep the outer diameter of
   the newly created pad the same as the hole drill size in order to
   not grow the pad to potentially create shorts.

How else would you want this to work ? I'm not sure that Hole -> Via
transition makes much sense in any real application anyway, when do
you use that ?

--
Daniel Nilsson