Re: gEDA-user: fpga

>somewhat difficult to get working , and is a slow pig.

Well.. 300Mb is the size of Quartus... One would not expect that it's
so called light weight...

> I will never, ever, ever use Xilinx again.  They have lost my
> business. It'll be all Altera from here forward.  Altera's Quartus
> software is also non-free, but it has the following advantages:

Do you have any alternative for a GPL project? I'd like to use GPL'd
software. Xilinx' web ISE is free!

> 1. A Linux version exists, and it's real native UNIX, no Winblows
>    emulation under the hood.

As far as I know they have native Linux code. And I think it's the
other way around, they were developing it under UNIX, and ported to
win. I have no clue about the GUI. (It's wriiten somewhere on their
site)

The thing is that from Altera, you CAN download code for Windows, but
not for linux. I think it's uncool. I'll make a project for my own, so
I'd not want to pay for anything. Let be enough to buy the FPGA! This
is what I don't like in MS... they make you (not us) buy the OS, and
they don't provide a C compiler with it... same for Solaris... but I
don't want to start a Solaris vs. Linux flame...

> 3. I was able to obtain a copy of said CD at no cost through some
> social engineering.

Can you make a copy, and send it to me? :-)

Anyways... I have not yet decided which to use... I'd like to pay the
least. Poor guy from a technical university.

Levente

--
E-Mail: levente.kovacs@xxxxxxxxxxxx
AIM: ha5ogl

/"\
\ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 X   against HTML email & vCards
/ \     http://arc.pasp.de/

Have Fun, & Linux! 73 for all by HA5OGL.
This message was generated by Sylpheed.