Re: gEDA-user: fpga

On Tuesday 01 November 2005 05:32 pm, Dan McMahill wrote:
> > In the project I am currently working on, I am trying to do most
> > of the work in a DSP rather than the FPGA so users can make more
> > modifications without having to install non free sofware.
>
> Out of curiosity, which DSP chip can be programmed with free (open
> source or otherwise) software?

The Microchip dsPIC parts.  Their compiler is a port of GCC.

> btw, I think altera figures that if you can't buy their development
> tools without flinching then

Lattice has some support under Linux but I have not used it, just the Windows
version at work.  I have found the Lattice parts and tools to be cheaper than
Xilinx or Altera.

There is also Actel that never seems to get much press.  You can now get a
real ARM core in their parts, without the hideous fees.

--
                          http://www.softwaresafety.net/
 http://www.unusualresearch.com/ http://www.bpaddock.com/