Re: gEDA-user: fpga

On 11/5/05, Karel Kulhavy <clock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> But GPL is not about open source. GPL is about free software. Those
> are two different philosophies. Read their definition.

Yes, please do.  At least as of GPL 2.0, the GPL *mandates* that
source code be available for software at nominal costs (e.g., the cost
of reproduction, basically).  It does *NOT* forbid commercial sale of
software, either.  I can sell a word processor for $259, boxed, but if
I am to remain GPL compliant, I have to make the source code available
(somehow; it doesn't even need to be via electronic means) for the
cost of reproduction (which includes shipping and handling, the media,
and the utility bills used to create the copy).

That fully fulfills the definition of open source, not of free (as in
beer) software.

--
Samuel A. Falvo II