Re: gEDA-user: Place to submit PCB footprints

> The biggest thing which has prevented me from try to open up a way for
> more footprint contributions is a clear policy on how they are made.  In
> particular
>
> 1) naming convention.  I'm in favor of using the latest IPC
> recommendation here whenever possible.  What I want to avoid is 27
> versions of the same thing.  so8 SO8 SO-8 SOIC-8 8_pin_soic, etc.

Just my $0.02.  John Luciani has spent a good deal of time thinking
about and implementing a naming scheme for his footprints.  His scheme
is based upon the current IPC recommendations.  He even
has a doc describing his scheme.  I couln't locate it on his footprint
website:

http://www.luciani.org/geda/pcb/pcb-footprint-list.html

but perhaps he can post a link to it?  (Or maybe a little searching
around will locate it?)

I raise this point because I think it useful to build on his work.
Also, a standard, universal naming scheme for PCB footprints would be
a good thing.

Stuart