Re: gEDA-user: Place to submit PCB footprints

DJ Delorie wrote:
Can you make a place on pcb.sourceforge.net or geda.seul.org to submit
PCB footprints? We have just made a footprint for Bourns CM45 SMD coil.

We've talked about this before.  I don't know if SF has the technology
to do it, but there was also a concern about abuse.  We'd have to have
some sort of validator that proved (1) it was actually a symbol or
footprint, and (2) it was syntactically correct.  I don't think we
solved that problem, although I think there's a wiki somewhere.

The biggest thing which has prevented me from try to open up a way for more footprint contributions is a clear policy on how they are made. In particular

1) naming convention. I'm in favor of using the latest IPC recommendation here whenever possible. What I want to avoid is 27 versions of the same thing. so8 SO8 SO-8 SOIC-8 8_pin_soic, etc.

2) style -- did you include appropriate silk?

3) general QA. I've seen some awful footprints in commercial libs, corporate libs, and pcb libs. I'd like to not feed things in without some quality checks. This is especially true when a number of footprints are developed and "verified" via hand soldering or without a silk screen and not evaluated for machine assembly or long term solder joint reliability.

4) a better way for versioning the footprints and updating footprints in an existing layout. The current method isn't great. Basically, to update footprints, one way is delete the ones you want to update, run gsch2pcb to pull in the new ones and then replace them. I'd rather have a way for a footprint to know where it came from and how to see if it is up to date and then a way for the user to say "update this one leaving it in the same spot with the same rotation".

-Dan