gEDA-user: Install CD Testing Update (11.13.2005)

> > *  CD Installer:  Various people have reported problems getting the
> > gEDA Suite installer to work successfully.  I am deeply concerned
> > about this.  The biggest problem seems to lie with SuSE.  I am
> > therefore going to build an installer test center in my gf's basement:
> > I have about 1/2 dozen old scrap computers upon which I will load
> > various distros (notably SuSE9.3 and FC4), and then try runing the
> > installer on those distros to diagnose and correct the problems.  This
> > process will take place over a few weeks (or more).  If you are
> > suffering from problems with the installer, hang tight!  BTW:  Thanks,
> > Ales, for the copy of FC4, and thanks in advance to the folks who are
> > sending me copies of SuSE9.3!
>
> If possible, it would be nice for your lab to include RHEL 3 and 4, and
> Ubuntu.  Those two distributions (plus FC of course) are the ones I come
> across the most.

Just a status update.  I have three test machines now busily building
the gEDA Suite on a couple of distros.   I also build on my two main
development platforms.  Testing has identified some bugs and new
dependencies, so developing the test lab was a good idea.  Some of the
info has made it onto the gEDA wiki:

http://geda.seul.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=geda:installation

Since there seems to be some interest in making the installer work on
Ubuntu, I would appreciate it if somebody took the time to burn some
Ubuntu CDs and sent them to me.  Yes, I could burn them myself, but I
lack some of the facilities to make it easy.  Also, I prefer to gauge
the group's real interest by asking for volunteers to do some
(minimal) work.

Folks who want to see the gEDA Suite tested on other distros are
welcome to send me the install CDs.  If you want to ensure that gEDA
works on your favorite (Linux) platform, please take action and send
me install CDs!  Simply asking for it on geda-user won't get you
anywhere. . . .

Contact me at sdb (AT) cloud9 *dot* net to get an address to which to
send the CD.

Stuart