Re: gEDA-user: vhdl simulator in gEDA

> Stuart Brorson wrote:
> >
> > Amongst the new packages on the CD will be GHDL.  However, there is a
> > problem with GHDL:  It is basically an extension (or front end) for
> > gcc, and it requires that you co-compile it with gcc-4.0.2.  That is,
> > installing GHDL involves re-compiling gcc, and requires a very
> > specific version of gcc to boot.
>
> [...]
>
> > What do people prefer?
> >
> > Stuart
>
> I wonder whether it would make sense to add the whole gcc software that
> matches ghdl along with and compile it all together? Also maybe not have
> the resulting application be gcc, but called something else, so it could
> live along with the gcc version of a native [linux] distribution for
> example?

I thought about doing something like this.  Then I tried to build GHDL
(and gcc-4.0.2) manually.  (I build all the CD's packages manually
first so as to understand how they build when I put them into the CD.)
Compilation of gcc (with vhdl enabled) failed on my FC1 machine.
Therefore, I am leaning strongly towards just putting the tarballs on
the CD for the user to find and manually install.  Unless, of course,
I find my self with a lot of free time before the next CD
release. . . . .

Stuart