Re: gEDA-user: pcb SMT footprints

The IPC-SM-782A also claims the 603 chip resistor dimensions can be
worst case.

Length (max) 1.7 mm
Width  (max) .95 mm
gap (min) .7 mm

This imples the length of the terminal could be as big as .5mm

Given this the width of the Land Pattern seems reasonable but the over
all length seems excesive.

I think the reason that they use is that they like to have room for the
solder to stick out past the device (solder toe) by ~0.5mm this would
add an extra 1mm to the overall length. The solder heal is the extra pad
under the terminal that allows solder to stick further under the device
then its actual terminal.

Ok the spec declares the pad length (terminal) to be 1.1mm

So.

Terminal + Solder Toe + Solder Heal = 0.5mm + 0.5mm + 0.25mm = 1.25mm

Implying an allowance of -.15 mm for worst case slop????

Hmmm... lets look at the device specs again...

Length (min) 1.5mm

So for the nominal 1.6 mm terminal length and gap of ~.9mm

Terminal + Solder Toe + Solder Heal = 0.35mm + 0.5mm + 0.25mm = 1.1mm

Implying an allowance of 0mm for positioning slop.

On the sides they like the pads larger by no smaller then 0.01mm adding
0.02mm for perfect placement. So this pattern allows .03mm side to side
slop in positioning

Steve Meier