Re: gEDA-user: Greetings! I am new here

Hi,

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 10:12 -0500, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> > Greetings everyone,
>
> Hello!
>
> > I am new to this list and to gEDA as well. I have been a long time user of
> > EAGLE on windows. Early this year i transformed myself into a Linux user
> > and supporter of everything Open Source. I have since been attempting to
> > use everything FOSS. There were two applications that remained commercial
> > on my box; EAGLE and VMLAB (An AVR simulator) through WINE.
> >
> > I have long been wanting FOSS alternatives for the above. Recently i
> > discovered gEDA (Wonder how i missed that before though? ;-))

Yes, it is not easy to find. :D
> > I have not fully understood the gEDA package yet but from the features list,
> > i am impressed. I would however like to read any review of the package if
> > available as i was unable to find anything worth while. Something in
> > comparison with EAGLE would be excellent. Is there any?
>
> [snip]
> The schematic capture program is very easy to learn and use.  No real
> learning curve there if you already know how to do schematic capture.
>
> GEDA's layout tool, PCB, is very capable and powerful.  Some people
> complain about it's user interface, but those complaints are
> pertainent to older versions of the program.  It's been ported to GTK
But I would suggest not to compile it with GTK because the menus in GTK
aren't complete.
> and now is reasonably easy to use.  It does present a little bit of a
> learning curve, but so does any powerful layout tool.
>
> > I use EAGLE's Auto-Router quiet often and hence would like to know the
> > performance of PCB in this regard.
>
> PCB has an autorouter which apparently works well.  I don't use it,
> but others do.

There are some problems with auto optimazation with Desing Rule Checker
but one can live with it.

> > I use Kubuntu 5.10 and my installation is hence from the Ubuntu
> > repositories.

I don't suggest using ubuntu packages because a) they are old versions,
b) they don't have everything included(for e.g. gattrib).

> You should search through the lists to see what prerequisite packages
> you need to install in order to use gEDA on Ubuntu.  To do an install
> from the CD you will need to make sure you have the development
> libraries for a number of packages.  The majority of complaints I see
> about gEDA these days come from people who have consumer-grade distros
> installed on their machines (SuSE 9.X personal, Fedora desktop,
> Ubuntu, etc.).   The consumer-grade distros often leave off important
Complaints also come from gentoo and debian.

And ubuntu is very similar to debian, it isn't really much different,
except the gui.

> header files and utilities used when compiling programs such as gEDA.
> Some even leave off gcc!  The gEDA Suite CD installer tries to take
Yes this is correct, but sudo apt-get install gcc and you have it.

> care of some dependencies, but these consumer-grade distros are
> basically crippled when it comes to building software.  Therefore, if
> you can find a pre-compiled version for Ubuntu, you might want to use
> that.
>
> Also note that gEDA is a GTK applications, whereas Kubuntu is Qt
> (KDE).  Therefore, you may need to even install the GTK stuff.

GTK is on every ubuntu...
> If you have another machine, I'd suggest you load it up with Fedora 4
> Workstation instead of horsing around with Kubuntu.

There aren't any problems with ubuntu, at least with gnome if you
compile from sources.

Lucas