Re: gEDA-user: Greetings! I am new here

> > > I use Kubuntu 5.10 and my installation is hence from the Ubuntu=20
> > > repositories.

> I don't suggest using ubuntu packages because a) they are old versions,
> b) they don't have everything included(for e.g. gattrib).
>
> > You should search through the lists to see what prerequisite packages
> > you need to install in order to use gEDA on Ubuntu.  To do an install
> > from the CD you will need to make sure you have the development
> > libraries for a number of packages.  The majority of complaints I see
> > about gEDA these days come from people who have consumer-grade distros
> > installed on their machines (SuSE 9.X personal, Fedora desktop,
> > Ubuntu, etc.).   The consumer-grade distros often leave off important

> Complaints also come from gentoo and debian.=20
>
> And ubuntu is very similar to debian, it isn't really much different,
> except the gui.
>
> > header files and utilities used when compiling programs such as gEDA.
> > Some even leave off gcc!  The gEDA Suite CD installer tries to take

> Yes this is correct, but sudo apt-get install gcc and you have it.

Lukas --  Could you please create a quick list of things you had to do
in order to build gEDA and PCB on Ubuntu?   Something like:

0. Install Ubuntu with these packages added: foo, bar, baz
1. apt-get gcc
2. apt-get some_other_dependency
3. build gEDA/gaf
4. build pcb
5. etc.

Thanks.

> > care of some dependencies, but these consumer-grade distros are
> > basically crippled when it comes to building software.  Therefore, if
> > you can find a pre-compiled version for Ubuntu, you might want to use
> > that. =20

> > Also note that gEDA is a GTK applications, whereas Kubuntu is Qt
> > (KDE).  Therefore, you may need to even install the GTK stuff.

> GTK is on every ubuntu...

I mean that I'd bet that the GTK header files are missing on a vanilla
Ubuntu install.  I'd like to be wrong.

> > If you have another machine, I'd suggest you load it up with Fedora 4
> > Workstation instead of horsing around with Kubuntu.
> >=20
> There aren't any problems with ubuntu, at least with gnome if you
> compile from sources.

Can you create a quick procedure for our Ubuntu friend about what you
did to make it work?

Thanks,

Stuart