Re: gEDA-user: Hierarchy vs spice-sdb

Al Davis wrote:
On Thursday 17 November 2005 03:42 pm, John Doty wrote:

One advantage of having gnetlist do the expansion is that you
get nice netnames like X1/OUT (ngspice isn't so friendly).
Also, for board design, a flat netlist is required (at least
by the PCB designer I usually deal with). The "source"
mechanism is also nice, allowing the designer to avoid the
difficulties wired-in pathnames cause.

If your target application requires flat netlists, make a separate utility to flatten it.

no, just write that backend to flatten it. In other words, make the spice netlister spit out a hierarchical netlist, the PCB one a flat netlist, etc.. I certain agree though that a big improvement to gnetlist would be to allow each backend to decide on hierarchical vs flattened.

-Dan