Re: gEDA-user: Spartan3 FT256 layout in PCB

Larry Doolittle wrote:

Ah, good, a critic.  That means I might learn something!

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 08:59:09PM -0500, Hal2000 wrote:

Larry Doolittle wrote:

I welcome constructive criticism [ of
http://recycle.lbl.gov/~ldoolitt/ft256/ ].

IMHO, you just can't get enough storage in a cap to supply the instantaneous switching needs of a high speed IC.

That makes me nervous, too. I'd like to see some numbers for the Spartan 3 to quantify this. How short is the current spike on VCCINT when a "whole bunch" of logic cells clock? Do they add some on-chip or in-package capacitance to give us half a chance? The individual transistors probably spike in 10 ps, and a whole logic cell in 100 ps.

If I ever have trouble on VCCINT, it has occurred to me that
I can fuss with pipelined logic to split the effort among different
clock edges, the goal being to spread the power supply transients in
time.  3 nC every 5 ns sounds easier to filter than 6 nC every 10 ns.
Assuming the feed is purely inductive, and the chip has non-zero
capacitance, the former case has half the power supply ripple.

Generally, this comes from the power planes themselves. If you can get your power and ground plane to within 0.002" of each other (pretty realistic these days),

Last time I asked board shops, they grimaced at anything under 3 mils. That was over a year ago. I was figuring on something like a 5/5/40/5/5 stackup. My understanding is that a 6-layer board is made of prepreg laminate prepreg laminate prepreg so the key separator between layers 2 and 3 (Ground and Power) is laminate.

you will make the best capacitor possible. That doesn't mean you can skimp on bulk capacitance, but remember it's the plane that supplies power for the switching edges first. BTW, those long inductive traces you had there for power will kill your chip at high frequency.

Define "long", "kill", and "high frequency". ;-) See above. I can fatten up most of the power traces from 10 mils to 20 mils, which will help a little.

One other point, something I noticed with the way you escaped your BGA. Each ball has a short trace that aims inward toward the center of the chip. In my experience, it usually goes outward. The benefit is a larger routing area in the center of the BGA. You get a "+" looking space, but if you aim you escapes inwards, the "+" is really thin.

Are we looking at the same board? Each ball (well, most of them) is paired with a via, and the via is further from the center than the ball. I do have a "+" looking space, and that's where I place eight 0603 caps.

Oh, your 6 layer board is not symmetrical. Check with your PCB vendor to see if it'll warp.

I plan on symmetric ground planes, layers 2 and 5. Top and bottom, layers 1 and 6, look similar in density to me. Are you looking at the difference between 3 and 4? Once the board is complete, I could add some copper pour to even them out, if you (and the PCB vendor) think it would help.

- Larry

I misunderstood the breakout on your bga.  Yes, you did it correctly.

Xilinx is very aware of signal integrity - just look at all the ads they have lately with Dr. Howard Johnson's face in the picture. However, BGA are made by using a pcb like substrate with the die glued and wire bonded. The routes are significantly shorter than a QFP, for example, but still there. The only exception is flip-chip design, and I have no idea if they are doing it. Now, on that substrate there are multiple layers. Having worked for a chip manufacturer, my experience was that they were very frugal on layer count. The layout guys were dead set against making nice power and ground planes which would help out for signal integrity - too much money. I did see one case where they actually sandwhiched some caps into the bga package, but that's extremely rare.

The very best you can do to power the device is to route directly to the power plane - which means there is a power plane directly underneath the chip. Use the shortest leads possible - which really means the escape goes to a via which connects directly to the power plane. Like I said, the power and ground plane need to be tightly coupled for this to work well.

BTW, as I recall, you can get around .0025" between layers using prepreg and .003" using core - or maybe it's .002" using prepreg and .0025 using core - I don't remember which is right, and remember I am NOT a pcb fab guru. Check with your fab house. Regardless, keep the power-ground distance as low as possibly within your fab houses capabilities.

What makes me think your board is asymetrical is where the power-ground pair is located. It's on layer 2-3. Check with the fab house, but there's a whole lot of copper closer to one side. When you heat up the card (during IR for example) I think it may warp. Copper pour is dangerous, IMO. If you wind up with islands of copper, you risk a lot.

good luck