Re: gEDA-user: Spartan3 FT256 layout in PCB

Ah, good, a critic.  That means I might learn something!

On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 08:59:09PM -0500, Hal2000 wrote:
> Larry Doolittle wrote:
> >I welcome constructive criticism [ of
> >http://recycle.lbl.gov/~ldoolitt/ft256/ ].
> >
> IMHO, you just can't get enough storage in a cap to supply the
> instantaneous switching needs of a high speed IC.

That makes me nervous, too.  I'd like to see some numbers for
the Spartan 3 to quantify this.  How short is the current spike
on VCCINT when a "whole bunch" of logic cells clock?  Do they add
some on-chip or in-package capacitance to give us half a chance?
The individual transistors probably spike in 10 ps, and a whole
logic cell in 100 ps.

If I ever have trouble on VCCINT, it has occurred to me that
I can fuss with pipelined logic to split the effort among different
clock edges, the goal being to spread the power supply transients in
time.  3 nC every 5 ns sounds easier to filter than 6 nC every 10 ns.
Assuming the feed is purely inductive, and the chip has non-zero
capacitance, the former case has half the power supply ripple.

> Generally, this comes
> from the power planes themselves.  If you can get your power and ground
> plane to within 0.002" of each other (pretty realistic these days),

Last time I asked board shops, they grimaced at anything under 3 mils.
That was over a year ago.  I was figuring on something like a 5/5/40/5/5
stackup.  My understanding is that a 6-layer board is made of
  prepreg laminate prepreg laminate prepreg
so the key separator between layers 2 and 3 (Ground and Power) is laminate.

> you will make the best capacitor possible.  That doesn't mean you can skimp
> on bulk capacitance, but remember it's the plane that supplies power for
> the switching edges first. BTW, those long inductive traces you had
> there for power will kill your chip at high frequency.

Define "long", "kill", and "high frequency".   ;-)    See above.
I can fatten up most of the power traces from 10 mils to 20 mils,
which will help a little.

> One other point, something I noticed with the way you escaped your BGA.
> Each ball has a short trace that aims inward toward the center of the
> chip.  In my experience, it usually goes outward.  The benefit is a
> larger routing area in the center of the BGA.  You get a "+" looking
> space, but if you aim you escapes inwards, the "+" is really thin.

Are we looking at the same board?  Each ball (well, most of them) is
paired with a via, and the via is further from the center than the ball.
I do have a "+" looking space, and that's where I place eight 0603 caps.

> Oh, your 6 layer board is not symmetrical.  Check with your PCB vendor
> to see if it'll warp.

I plan on symmetric ground planes, layers 2 and 5.  Top and bottom, layers
1 and 6, look similar in density to me.  Are you looking at the difference
between 3 and 4?  Once the board is complete, I could add some copper
pour to even them out, if you (and the PCB vendor) think it would help.

      - Larry