Re: gEDA-user: fork of pcb ?

I think the name "PCB" is great!!!

Maybe it's a drag that this 'fork' that's up for discussion is using the same
name.  The last thing the digital underground needs is more confusing
versioning.

But maybe there is a lot more consonance between their work work and geda/PCB
than we're admitting.  And maybe the PCB writers have some interesting
surprises for us users.

I mean, why doubt this 'fork' when Harry Eaton's email is listed as a contact
on the opencircuitdesign site?

If the writers of PCB have decided to make a fork, even as an experiment, I
don't see any reason for alarm--this forking urge is why PCB exists in the
first place it would seem.

Phil

sdb@xxxxxxxxxx (Stuart Brorson) wrote:

> Heh. . . .  We had a naming discusison about a year ago.  Some folks
> favored calling the new, improved [1], GTK  (soon to be HID) version
> "gpcb" for "gEDA PCB" or "GTK PCB".   This also has the advantage that
> when newbies Google on gpcb, they will get hits about the program
> itself, instead of 1e6 links to general info about PCB manufacture.
>
> However, I believe that there was some antipathy on the part of the
> PCB developers to a renaming.  I am cool with that since they are the
> ones who should decide.  But my question is: what reasons exist
> against a name change?
>
> Stuart
>
> [1]  At least *some* people (me included) think it's improved.
>

> > Steve Meier wrote:
> > >
> > > Since, Tim claims version 3, I think version the hid version should be
> > > 4. Note their web pages do reference geda.
> > >
> > > Steve M.
> > >

> > No point in worrying about version numbers.  As long as the products
> > have the same name, it will be very confusing to newcomers and also to
> > distributions, rpm packagers, etc.
> >
> > You need to change the name of one of the products.

/"\
\ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 X   against HTML email & vCards
/ \