Re: gEDA-user: Re: Pointer to 3d CAD?

On Nov 1, 2006, at 11:16 PM, ldoolitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I once personally diagnosed and replaced a blown diode in a PDP-5.
When it blew, it made an accumulator bit stick on, and the machine
became unusable.  That event caused the machine to be retired from
the Caltech Cyclotron.  My friends and I found it abandoned many
years later, in about 1978.  We fixed, refurbished, and played with
it.  The process was very educational.

Most excellent! I bet that was a lot of fun.

The PDP-5 was the predecessor to the PDP-8.  The big difference
between the two was cycle time: 10us for the PDP-5 vs. 4us for
the PDP-8, IIRC.  Each had 4K x 12 of core memory.  It's possible
that machine is still kicking around Caltech; if you're interested
I could make inquiries.

I'm SO interested I can barely put it into words. I am an avid minicomputer collector, with DEC as my specialty, and the PDP-5 is a very rare machine. I've restored many PDP-8 and -11 systems, and I have quite a lot of VAXen (though not so old as to need restoration per se), and I pet them (and run them!) all regularly.

                 -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Cape Coral, FL