Re: gEDA-user: OT: FPGAs, SDSL, Ronjas...

Karel Kulhavy <clock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You need to do the reverseengineering and declassifying work. What if they
> refuse to give out the docs, he?

What docs?  Do you really think that any ISP actually knows anything
about the protocols, packet formats, etc. of their equipment?  The
answer is no, they just buy equipment and operate it, but they have NO
technical knowledge or docs.

Now the bad guys who refuse to give out the docs are the DSLAM
manufacturers, and yes, I've been reverse-engineering them, quite
successfully so far I might add.  The gadget that I'm now drawing in
gschem (the OSDCU) will be another great aid in this reverse engineering
work when it's built.

The good thing is that thanks to the new G.shdsl standard there will be
no new proprietary SDSL/2B1Q flavors to reverse-engineer, just the
existing legacy ones.  The G.shdsl spec (the ETSI version, same
technical content formatted differently) can be downloaded freely from
the ETSI website, and chipsets are available from several vendors that
provide a complete implementation.  Don't like the closed source
firmware of those chipsets?  The spec is completely open, so feel free
to make your own implementation from discrete components.

The only reason I'm not enjoying G.shdsl and mess with legacy SDSL
instead is that there are so many existing deployed SDSL/2B1Q lines that
it'll take a global apocalypse to take them all out of service so they
can be replaced with something else.  But the key point is that it's all
legacy stuff, so there is no one out there to invent new different
flavors just to break my open source hardware.

> The business grade services offered here are prohibitively expensive here.

Well, then I'm fortunate enough to live in a place where I can afford a
real business Internet service, because I would never be able to live
without it -- I could never live with an ISP doing the kind of evil
things to me you've been talking about in this whole thread.

> You can put tripods with analogue Ronja retranslation and solar battery
> between the cows and horses.

Yeah, and the cost of buying or renting the land for those towers, plus
the towers themselves, would be a lot more than a T3.  Thanks, but I'll
take the T3 instead if I ever have that kind of money.

MS