Re: gEDA-user: aroma hotplate info

DJ Delorie wrote:
I did an experiment with my hotplate to see how evenly it heated up
(not very).

I had a lousy hotplate too. I bandsawed off the edges, sanded off the teflon, and screwed it to a 1/2" surplus aluminum plate. Seems fairly even now. I thought it'd be a good idea to have a nice flat plate too, until I realized that circuit boards warp when you heat 'em up.

DJ, did your test account for warp somehow?

Older hotplates tended to have more metal. They noticeably lacked cords or working thermostats when I browsed the Salvation Army. Newer plates tend to have a much lighter swage joint between the element and the plate. Some hotplates are no longer die-cast, instead they're pressed and have a swage holding the element on the bottom. These formed 'plates are the least flat and the least even heating.

Get the cheapest hotplate that has a continuous, thick joint between the element and the plate, and add a slab of metal, copper would be nice but rather vain.

Phil