gEDA-user: (no subject)

From: DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: geda-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: gEDA-user: aroma hotplate info

> I had a lousy hotplate too.  I bandsawed off the edges, sanded off the
> teflon, and screwed it to a 1/2" surplus aluminum plate.

Sounds like you had an electric frying pan, not a hotplate.

> DJ, did your test account for warp somehow?

Did you watch the video?  I used little strips of copper clad, with a
row of paste dots.

> Newer plates tend to have a much lighter swage joint between the
> element and the plate.

This one is cast iron, and the element is fully embedded in the plate.
It heats up fast, about 100F/min (~ 1C/S), and has a lot of "keep
going" when you turn the power off.

> Get the cheapest hotplate that has a continuous, thick joint between
> the element and the plate,

I'm pretty sure that's what I did.