Re: gEDA-user: aroma hotplate info

DJ Delorie wrote
> Newer plates tend to have a much lighter swage joint between the
> > element and the plate.

This one is cast iron, and the element is fully embedded in the plate.
It heats up fast, about 100F/min (~ 1C/S), and has a lot of "keep
going" when you turn the power off.

You might try putting an iron skillet on your hotplate
Used ones should be available for a lot less than $20.

If I do anything about it, I'll probably just get a chunk of aluminum to put on top of it. I have a friend who's a machinist.

Here are a couple of kinds of hotplates of the past to keep an eye open for before you make one:

http://shop.cottagematic.com/elab/fisher-scientific-autemp-hotplate.jpg
http://shop.cottagematic.com/elab/universal-hotplate.jpg

John G