Re: gEDA-user: Symbol with 20 pins for a module of 40 connections

On 11/4/06, Jeff VR <jffvnrkl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am not quite sure of the question so I hope this helps.
>
> You can have pins and pads in a footprint with the same the "pin number"
> and they will connect. In the footprint below I overlay pads (on component and
> solder side) with pins.

That's a very interesting way to do it.  One problem I think that
would cause is when the board went through the oven to much of the
solder (paste) would flow into the hole and the surface mount pads
wouldn't make a good connection.  I would like to keep solder mask
around the hole to ensure that the solder paste stays on the pad and
out of the hole.  The pins will get soldered to the holes when it goes
through the wave.

Here is what I have so far. Please excuse the mark not being in the
center.  It was one of the first footprints I created.

I am still using an old version of PCB so I couldn't read your footprint. If you could send a picture I will take a look.

Another idea ---

Could you offset the pin and pad and connect them with a second
thinner pad (also the
same pin number). The thin pad would help prevent solder flow from the
thicker pad to the hole.

(* jcl *)

-- http://www.luciani.org