Re: gEDA-user: geda-spice problem

OK, I just downloaded and built guile-1.8.1.  Gnetlist and spice-sdb
seem to work just fine on my old FC1 system with the new guile-1.8.1.
Therefore, I don't know what your problem might be since it doesn't
seem to be associated with the new guile release.

At some point in the future I will build a new FC6 box.  Then I will
download and install gEDA using the FC6 RPM set.  Then I can see what
is wrong with gEDA on FC6.  Maybe we'll do this during a code sprint
or at a FreeDog meeting.

Meanwhile, I suggest that if you really need to use gEDA, then you
ditch FC6 and use an FC5 system.  FWIW, every time Red Hat releases a
new Fedora Core, they manage to break gEDA in some way or another.  It
takes us developers a little after the release to clean up the
breakage.

[OT]
however is it normal that packages are installed at
/usr/local/share/gEDA instead of /usr/share/gEDA ?

Assuming you installed from RPMs, the install path is determined by the package builder (i.e. not us). If you install using the gEDA install CD, then *you* can specify the install path at the beginning of the install sequence.

That does raise an interesting issue:  Guile is very finickey about
where it lives, and is also unhappy if there is some mixing of
different versions/install locations.  When you installed gEDA, did
some version of guile get installed too?  Perhaps into the
/usr/local/share hierarchy?  If so, then guile can become confused
....   Please do a little probing and see if you have multiple copies
of guile in /usr/bin and in /usr/local/bin.  Then, if you do, please
eliminate one of them.  Here's a thread on this from geda-user:

http://archives.seul.org/geda/user/Apr-2005/msg00132.html

Stuart