Re: gEDA-user: gschem regularly segfaults on OpenBSD

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 10:27 +0100, Karel Kulhavy wrote:
> I have gschem 20060123
>
> When I edit schematics in gschem, I get randomly a segfault say every 5
> minutes. I have to save every say 30 seconds and when it explodes, restart it
> and continue. I didn't have these problems on Linux. But the version I used
> there may have been different. I don't remember what was the last version of
> gschem I used on Linux.
>
> It doesn't depend on what schematic I edit.
>
> I think it may be caused by the protection of OpenBSD against malilcious code.
> OpenBSD kernel has some special measures incorporated which make sure that if
> the program damages the memory, it crashes as often as possible.

Sounds plausible...

Can you get a backtrace from a crash by running gschem under gdb?

If possible, get a few and see if it crashes in the same place each
time.

Did you compile gschem yourself? The stack traces are of course only
useful if gschem was compiled with symbols intact (unstripped), so we'll
have to see!

Regards

Peter Clifton