gEDA-user: Re: Wishes, bugs and misunderstandings

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 19:59:16 +0100, Werner Hoch wrote:

> Hi Kai-Martin and all,
>
> On Sunday 19 November 2006 20:25, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 19:32:37 +0100, Werner Hoch wrote:
>> > You can easily translate the symbol back to the center of gschem,
>> > when you use a large distance for translation. e.g. translate
>> > symbol with 10000 will move it to (10000,10000)
>>
>> Even if you do, there might still be something beyond the screen. How
>> about a special value "all" in the et action? This would translate
>> the symbol to the right and up until all objects are visible and
>> pin-1 is on the grid.
>
> You can make the hidden text visible and then translate the symbol to
> zero.
> Would that fit your needs?

Yes, if translate worked that way.
At the moment hidden attributes with negative coordinates do not
reappear with the translate 0 action, even if the attribute is made
visible with [en]. However, the translate action seems to feel the
presence of the attribute outside of the window. The window gets scaled to
a size, that would fit the whole symbol including the hidden attribute.

>> The hidden text is still beyond the screen if you want to re-edit the
>> symbol e.g. to derive a similar symbol. IMHO a warning should be
>> issued if an action will translate an object to negative coordinates.
>
> I think the warning should be printed by the symbol checker (gsymcheck).

This would be fine too. Still I think, a warning should be presented,
right at the moment, when placement in the negative  happens.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
http://lilalaser.de/blog