Re: gEDA-user: LED in reverse

On Nov 23, 2006, at 2:17 AM, Karel Kulhavy wrote:

My application is noise-critical between 1MHz and 10MHz. Would BC547C be
better than 2N3904? I assume it's not a switching transistor.

Rather use BC549 or BC550, they have tighter spec on noise.
Or use BF240 if gain has to be higher.
PNP transistors can have lower noise due to lower base resistance.

Does the gold increase only 1/f noise or also the broadband (white) noise?

Broadband. The main effect is to reduce beta by promoting recombination. That increases base current shot noise: every additional recombination event is one electron's worth of charge noise variance.

This isn't a huge effect: an expert can usually get better results from things like 2N3904 than a non-expert can get from anything. Noise performance depends less on the parts than on how you use them. For a good start here, study the part of Horowitz and Hill's "The Art of Electronics" that describes low noise design.

jpd@xxxxxxxxx