Re: gEDA-user: A new default for thermals?

On Sun, Nov 04, 2007 at 01:20:18AM -0700, Ben Jackson wrote:
> What do people think of changing the default thermal behavior:
>
> 1)  If the thermal tool is used on a pin or a via overlapping a pad,
> you get the current behavior (a rounded, diagonal 4-point connection).
>
> 2)  If the thermal tool is used on a via that's not touching a pad,
> you get a solid connection by default (currently the last of several
> options available if you shift-click with the thermal tool).
>
> I was also thinking it would be clever to have a way to place a via
> that's connected to the current layer.  Eg if you shift-click to place
> a via, it's connected to the current layer, just like if you'd switched
> to the thermal tool and clicked once (with an eye toward using those
> new rule above as well).

I think those are great ideas.  FYI, I work around the inconvenience
of the current via/thermal system by copying existing vias that are
properly connected to my ground or power plane to the buffer, then
pasting them where I want new ones.  This is quicker than switching to
the via tool, placing the via, switching to the thermal tool,
switching to the appropriate plane layer, and clicking the thermal
tool several times to get a solid connection.  It's especially quick
if you're going to place several vias at once, all to the same plane.

--
Randall