Re: gEDA-user: A new default for thermals?

> 2)  If the thermal tool is used on a via that's not touching a pad,
> you get a solid connection by default (currently the last of several
> options available if you shift-click with the thermal tool).

I like this.  I set them all up that way anyway, having it as the
default would save me some time.

Of course, that assumes you're having a fab make the board.  If I were
doing vias with home-etch, I'd need to solder them, so the current
default would make more sense.

> I was also thinking it would be clever to have a way to place a via
> that's connected to the current layer.  Eg if you shift-click to
> place a via, it's connected to the current layer, just like if you'd
> switched to the thermal tool and clicked once (with an eye toward
> using those new rule above as well).

When I'm doing this type of thing, the ground plane is usually not my
current layer.  I work on a signal layer to run the traces, place the
vias, and then go around thermalling them all to the right planes.

I think expanding on the auto-thermal idea would be better.  Place
traces and vias, hit a magic key, and all the vias thermal to the
right layers/polygons according to the netlist.