Re: gEDA-user: Simulation troubles ...

Op zondag 04-11-2007 om 21:31 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef al davis:
> On Sunday 04 November 2007, Richard Rasker wrote:
> >  but got stuck when
> > Mandriva couldn't fulfil one of gwave's dependencies.)

Gwave is available as a Mandriva package, but it needs
libguile-ltdl.so.1, which unfortunately is not included in the installed
guile package:

# urpmi gwave
Some requested packages could not be installed:
gwave-0.20051222-1mdv2007.0.i586 (due to missing libguile-ltdl.so.1)

The guile-1.6.7 RPM package (built for SuSE) does offer
libguile-ltdl.so, but won't install; not only does the package manager
say everything is installed already, but it also shows lots of
conflicting files:

# rpm -if guile-1.6.7-3.i586.rpm
package guile-1.8.1-7mdv2007.1 (which is newer than guile-1.6.7-3) is already installed
file /usr/bin/guile from install of guile-1.6.7-3 conflicts with file from package guile-1.8.1-7mdv2007.1
[snip huge list of conflicting files]

Uninstalling guile-1.8 is no option, as several other packages I use
depend on it.
I haven't tried installing guile-1.6.7 from source yet, but my
experience tells me that I'll most likely run into more trouble that
way.

It's a bit frustrating ... all of gEDA installed without a hitch, except
the simulation software -- and even after several days of trying and
tinkering, I haven't succeeded in performing even one simple simulation,
no matter whether I tried gspiceui, gwave or KJWaves ... Somehow it
seems Mandriva won't let me simulate circuits :-/
Of course this also has to do with my inexperience with SPICE,
simulation models, the relevant tools and CLI commands, etcetera -- but
that's exactly why I was looking for a GUI solution: to be able to run a
few very simple simulations without too much hassle.

Anyway, I'd still appreciate any help to get things going. In the
meantime, I'll go over Stuart Brorson's HOWTO once more, and see if I
can make sense of it. Actually, I think I understand almost everything
in there, but I must be doing things wrong somewhere along the line when
entering and defining a circuit.
An explanation based on one or more working examples would really,
really help a lot -- if only to find out what I'm doing wrong.

Best regards,

Richard Rasker