Re: gEDA-user: Simulation troubles ...

Op maandag 05-11-2007 om 19:48 uur [tijdzone -0500], schreef KURT
PETERS:
> Richard,
>   Your problem is a SPICE issue.  Simply put, to do a .TF, your source needs
> to be DC.
> So, this should work (I haven't tried it).  .TF, .OP, and .DC are all under
> the heading of "type of DC analysis" in my SPICE book.
>
>   * gnetlist -g spice-sdb -o test.net test.sch
>    .TF V(1) VIN
>    .AC DEC 100 10.0  100
>    .SAVE V(1)
>    .OPT NOPAGE NOMOD
>    .WIDTH OUT=133
>    *********************************************************
>    * Spice file generated by gnetlist                      *
>    * spice-sdb version 2.10.2007 by SDB --                 *
>    * provides advanced spice netlisting capability.        *
>    * Documentation at http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/SPICE/   *
>    *********************************************************
>    *==============  Begin SPICE netlist of main design ============
>    V1 2 0 sin 0 1 10
> VIN 2 0 DC 0.5V
>    R1 2 1 47k
>    C2 0 1 100nF
>    .end
>
> I hope that helps,

Thank you for your reply, but alas, this didn't work (dozens of error
messages); however, someone else mailed me that I needed to assign both
a DC and an AC value to V1, so that the total simulation list looks like
this:

* gnetlist -g spice-sdb -o test.net test.sch
.TF V(1) V1
.AC DEC 100 10.0  100
.SAVE V(1)
.OPT NOPAGE NOMOD
.WIDTH OUT=133
* Spice file generated by gnetlist                      *
* spice-sdb version 2.10.2007 by SDB --                 *
* provides advanced spice netlisting capability.        *
* Documentation at http://www.brorson.com/gEDA/SPICE/   *
*==============  Begin SPICE netlist of main design ============
V1 2 0 sin 0 1 10 ac 1 dc 1
R1 2 1 47k
C2 0 1 100nF
.end

So at least I have something that works, and that is a great help
already. And as soon as I have a few days to spare, I'll dive into SPICE
more in-depth.

Once again my apologies (to the makers of all this software, and also to
the rest of the group) if my first message sounded "whiny", but I hadn't
expected at all that a GUI simulation tool required a fair amount of
knowledge of the underlying engine, file formats and manual editing.
To me, it's like firing up a word processor and being required to know
about file headers, formatting codes and file storage formats. Then
again, a slightly misaligned paragraph isn't as detrimental to the end
result as a small error in an input or output definition ;-)

And oh, one more (probably stupid) question: does KJWaves offer a Monte
Carlo analysis? Or is this too a matter of learning how to use SPICE?

Anyway, thanks again for your help and patience,

Best regards,

Richard Rasker