Re: gEDA-user: Schematic Level DRC DIscussion

On Nov 6, 2007, at 1:04 PM, Steve Meier wrote:

> U1
>
> pin  1   "D1"  pas
> pin  2   "NC"  pas
> pin  3   "D3"  pas
> pin  4   "S3"  pas
> pin  5   "S4"  pas
> pin  6   "D4"  pas
> pin  7   "NC"  pas
> pin  8   "D2"  pas
> pin  9   "S2"  pas
> pin 10   "IN2"  in
> pin 11   "V+"  pwr
> pin 12   "VL"  pwr
> pin 13   "GND" pwr
> pin 14   "V-"  pwr
> pin 15   "IN1"  in
> pin 16   "S1"  pas
>

> J1  pins are   pas

Yes. But does that really make sense?

> nets:
>
> U1.1 U1.3 U1.4 U1.5 U1.6 U1.8 J1.A4
> U1.9 U1.10 U1.11 U1.12 U1.13 U1.14 U1.15 J1.B3
> U1.16 J1.A4
>

> First:  J1.A4 is used twice in effect reducing the nets to two nets

Yes. Is that a real error? I think it is right now, but should
gnetlist treat these as separate nets? It doesn't for a ground
symbol, for example.

> U1.1 U1.3 U1.4 U1.5 U1.6 U1.8 U1.16 J1.A4           All pins pas
> U1.9 U1.10 U1.11 U1.12 U1.13 U1.14 U1.15 J1.B3      pins include types
> such as pas, in and pwr
>

> For the second net arcording to the drc2 matrix
>
> 1) pas may connect to pas, in or pwr
> 2) in may connect to in or pwr
>
> There for DRC2 thinks that there are no connection errors.

Yes. Those rules are almost useless in mixed signal circuits.

>> From my reading of DRC2 it tests for
>
> 1) Non numbered parts
> 2) Duplicate references

But, of course, some of us often use multiple symbols for one part.

> 3) One connection nets

That's somewhat useful. But it also complains of unconnected pins,
which are normal, not usually errors.

> 4) net pin types

Using a classification nearly irrelevant to anything except pure
digital design.

> 5) slots
> 6) duplicated slots
> 7) un-used slots
>
> I would expect complaints about duplicate slots and un-used slots.

Unused connector pins are extremely common in error-free designs. And
I think it adds clarity to treat connectors as multi-slot rather than
having a lot of named lines converging on a big block.

> Not
> about the way the pins are hooked together. One obvious weakness is
> that
> the test schematic connects, V+, V-, VL and GND together. These are
> all
> type pwr and thus according to the matrix they may be connected. I
> think
> this is a weakness of pins not being heavier.

Yes, but how to fix. Making the pins heavier will make symbol
construction even harder for new users. Pin classification is already
confusing.

http://www.noqsi.com/
jpd@xxxxxxxxx