Re: gEDA-user: CD Rom Images

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 09:30 +0100, Klaus Rudolph wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I installed now git and want to get the last release of the gEDA suite.
> Is there one release tag for all components? Could I "checkout" with one
> command all last releases? Sorry, I have no idea which structure you
> have in the projects so I have to ask. And I have never used git before.
>   Only cvs and svn on my desk until now:-)

When you clone a repository in git, you get everything. After:

git clone git://git.gpleda.org/gaf.git

You'll have our entire development history back to the point Ales
started using the CVS server which we migrated away from to git.

the "git checkout" command sets up your working directory tree to match
a particular "tree" inside the git repository's database. (At each
commit, git stores a "commit" record, which points to a root "tree"
record. It stores various "tree" (directory), "blob" (file)  records,
which work like an ordinary file-system, but inside git's database.

The latest release:
git checkout 1.2.0-20070902

This gets you in one shot:
geda-docs
geda-examples
geda-gattrib
geda-gnetlist
geda-gschem
geda-gsymcheck
geda-symbols
geda-utils
libgeda

(Which in my opinion is lots easier than fetching these tarballs and
building them separately!)

> If there is one checkout command for all last stable versions, please
> give me a hint! Thanks!

There isn't a tag which points to the latest stable version. Our stable
versions are numbered x.y.z-date, where y is EVEN for a stable release.
(Development snapshots ought not to be too unstable really, but there
hasn't been one since the stable 1.2.0). Development versions have y as
an ODD number.

If you do:
git tag -l

You'll get a list of tags in the repository. Older releases from the CVS
days were named "rel_$date".

Hope this helps,

Do let me know if you have any further queries.. If you start using git
for anything like making commits etc.., there are lots more interesting
commands I'm sure people here would be happy to help with.

Best wishes,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,