Re: gEDA-user: Simulation troubles ...

Guys -

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 11:35:18AM -0500, Al Davis wrote:
> Is Sun's Java system completely GPL?
> ... quick check ... Sun's Java is available in Debian as "non-free".
> It's not enough for [kjwaves] to be GPL.  All of the dependencies
> must be free.

Al, I fully agree with your definitions.

Java is in transition to becoming fully Free.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IcedTea
Debian seems to be lagging (as usual).  There are Ubuntu and Fedora
builds already.  There is recent news about cooperation between Sun
and the IcedTea project.
  http://open.itworld.com/4917/071105redhatjava/page_1.html
So the future is bright for Free Java -- and by extension for Free
projects written in Java -- even if it's not practical right now.

> If I find a simple change I can make that makes my system work for more
> people, I do it.  Making kjwaves work on GNU Java is such a change.

Beyond that, code quality is generally improved by making it portable
and standards-compliant.  I encourage Kurt Peters to try harder to
make kjwaves work with non-Sun Java, or at least delineate specifically
what features/bugs make that difficult.

   - Larry