Re: gEDA-user: gEDA/gaf capabilities

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 20:19:25 +0200, Duncan Drennan wrote:

> I was in a similar position a couple of month back, wondering whether
> geda/gaf was a capable tool and whether committing to it would be a good
> idea. I have only really worked with the schematic editor (gschem) and
> the netlister (I use a subcontractor to do layout which is done in
> PCAD).
>
> After having worked with gschem and parts of geda for a while, I am
> astounded at how powerful and excellent the tools are, as well as how
> good the documentation and support is (the support on this list is
> amazing and patient).

Ack.
Let me add, that to me, the gradient of the learning curve was similar
with protel98. Even after a few months of getting used to the tool I was
left with more non-features during day-to-day experience than with geda.
Polygon creation was a real pain, sometimes the application choked on its
self produced files, the auto-router wouldn't limit itself to selected
rats, color preferences did not work for the background of the layout, to
name just a few. Worst of all: No chance for a cure! The original company
was sold and the buyer decided to force a bloated Next-Generation-Self-
Thinking-Super-Featuread follow-up "Altium Designer" down the throats of
the customers.

By contrast, I saw some relevant progress during the two years I have
tracked geda/pcb. Plus, developers listen to me-user :-)

> I end up making a lot of footprints

Yup, me too. But this was also the case with protel. It was mainly my
colleagues, who had built our local lib...

In spite of all my feature requests and bug reports, I am a lot happier
with geda/pcb than I have been with protel.

---<(kaimartin)>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak                                  tel: +49-511-762-2895
Universität Hannover, Inst. für Quantenoptik      fax: +49-511-762-2211